Monday, November 15, 2010

Voices

I have a bit of a crush on someone whom I've never met - it's based purely on the sound of his voice.

I've never been much of a phone person, probably because when you have very nosy parents, you never want to have private phone conversations with your high school boyfriend that can be easily overheard by your entire family.  And so, I've always placed a lot of importance on a guy's command with the English language, whether via email, instant messages or texts.  Besides, what could be more romantic than a handwritten love letter?

The phone may be a touch less wistfully romantic, but still, there is something so comforting about hearing a familiar voice answer the phone.  It's the knowledge that at that very moment, the person on the other end is there.  He's awake and he's listening to what you are saying at that very moment.  With email, you never really know quite when your words will reach the person to whom they're addressed.   Then there's the a monopolistic quality to phone calls that's lacking in electronic situations.  With the phone, I love knowing that I am the sole person being spoken to out loud.   Sure he could be multi-tasking, but for the most part, I can tell whether I have his undivided attention.

And to top it all off, a voice - particularly a man's voice - can be sexy in a way that the written word just can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment